Philipp Homan, MD, PhD
Feinstein Institute for Medical Research
Tel: +1 718-470-8267
I am currently an Assistant Professor at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research and the Zucker School of Medicine in New York.
I was an attending physician (Oberarzt) at the University Hospital of Psychiatry (with Werner Strik) at the psychosis section (Head: Daniela Hubl) and the group leader of the non-invasive brain stimulation unit at the Department of Psychiatric Neurophysiology. I studied business and computer science at the Technical University, Vienna, followed by an MD at the Medical University Vienna. I was a PhD student at the Department of Psychiatric Neurophysiology at the University Hospital of Psychiatry Bern (with Thomas Dierks). In 2013, I was a resident at the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology & Clinical Nutrition, Inselspital, University of Bern (with Kurt Laederach and Peter Diem). In 2012, I co-founded the Recovery Trialogue in Berne based on the recovery approach in psychiatry together with Chris Abderhalden and Christian Burr.
Recent Publications (click here for more)
- Winkelbeiner S, Leucht S, Kane JM, Homan P (2018). Often claimed, rarely tested: differences in individual
drug response. PsyArxiv. doi: 10.31234/osf.io/5unfj.
- Homan P, Levy I, Feltham E, Gordon C, Hu J, Li J, Pietrzak RH, Southwick S, Krystal JH, Harpaz-Rotem I,
Schiller D (in press). Neural computations of threat in the aftermath of combat trauma. Nature Neuroscience.
- Winkelbeiner S, Suker S, Bachofner H, Eisenhardt S, Steinau S, Walther S, Federspiel A, Dierks T, Strik W,
Homan P (2018). Targeting obsessive-compulsive symptoms with rTMS and perfusion imaging. The American
Journal of Psychiary, (175): 81–83.
- Winkelbeiner S, Cavelti M, Federspiel A, Dierks T, Strik W, Horn H, Homan P (2018). Decreased blood flow
in the right insula and middle temporal gyrus predicts negative formal thought disorder in schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia Research, (201): 432-434.
- Cavelti M, Kircher T, Nagels A, Strik W, Horn H, Homan P (2018). Neuroimaging of formal thought disorder
in schizophrenia: A systematic review. Schizoprenia Research, (199): 2–16.
- Homan P, Lin Q, Murrough JW, Soleimani L, Bach DR, Clem RL, Schiller D (2017). Prazosin during threat
discrimination boosts memory of the safe stimulus. Learning & Memory, 24(11): 597–601.
Editorials and essays
- Homan P, Kane JM (2018). Clozapine as an early-stage treatment. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 138: 279–280.
- Homan P, Schiller D (2016). Neuroscience: This is not a spider. Current Biology, 26(19): R898–R900.
- Article on New-York-type happiness. qz.com, 25.3.2015.
- Article on TMS in depression. BZ 7.7.2014. In German.
- Article on TMS in psychosis. NZZ 18.8.2013. In German.